There are several tourist attractions in Ekiti State. The State is one of the six the South Western States in Nigeria. The state is well recognized for its mountains and gift of nature. It is situated in the south-west geopolitical zone of Nigeria and was created from Ondo State in the year 1996.
There are 16 local government areas in the State currently, and these are Ado-Ekiti (the capital), Aiyedire, Efon, Irepodun/Ifelodun, Ekiti-East, Ekiti Southwest, Emure, Ekiti-west, Ikere, Ido-Osi, Ijero, Ikole, Ilejemeje, Ise-Orun, Moba, and Oye. If you are someone who loves to travel, you can visit the state and find out that there are many tourist attractions in Ekiti State.
List of the 10 tourist attractions in Ekiti State
These are the list of tourist attractions in Ekiti State below:
- Ero Dam Lake: This tourist site is situated at Ikun Ekiti and covers a distance about 11km. The indigenes of the town and neighbours harvest fish on this Lake. The fishermen make use of boats, Local canoes, and modern speedboats. This is one of the tourist attractions in Ekiti State.
- Fajuyi Memorial Park: This memorial park is situated in the state capital Ado Ekiti State. The late Colonel Adekunle Fajuyi was Killed along with the Ex-head of State General Aguiyi Ironsi in a Military coup in 1966. This park happens to be where he was buried.
- Ipole-Iloro Waterfall: This is another tourist attraction in Ekiti State. This Waterfall is very fun to visit and this one is situated on the other side of the Effon Ridge, away from the well-known Erin-Ijesha, and this is also part of the tourist attractions in Ekiti State that is worth visiting.
- Ikogosi Warm Springs: It is found at Ikogosi, Ekiti West LGA. This site is very special and popular because the spring is a coming together of hot spring and cold spring meeting at a particular point and then flowing together down as a single stream.
- Osun River Source: The River Source is located in Igbeti-Ekiti in Irepodun/Ifelodun LGA. The river is adored by the people living in Osogbo in Osun state with funfair as a divinity that treats barrenness and gives children. This site is one of the tourist attractions in Ekiti State if someone wants to explore.
- Esa Cave, Iyin-Ekiti: The cave has the ability to encompass about thirty-four thousand people at once and it is thought to have defended the people of the town during the civil wars in Yoruba land. This is a great site in Yoruba history.
- Ewi’s Palace, Ado Ekiti: This palace in Ado Ekiti is an embodiment of outdated architectural edifice, and offers an immense opportunity for you to know more about the cultural heritage of Ekiti people. Therefore, this is among the tourist attractions in Ekiti State for one to visit.
- Orole Hills, Ikere Ekiti: For a perfect exploration, picnicking and hiking in Ekiti, then the Orole Hills which is located in Ikere is a nice spot for you. Fairytale has it that the hill was previously a woman who was adored and is still worshipped as a goddess of wealth in the town.
- Olosunta Hills, Ikere Ekiti: Another hill in Ikere Ekiti, and also another top tourist attractions in Ekiti State. The Ugele hill which is located close to the Olosunta hill has a cave that could occupy thousand people. It is a big space that was used in the past for wrestling.
- Erin Ayonigba Sacred Fish River, Erinjiyan-Ekiti: Finally, This last among the tourist attractions in Ekiti State is Erin Ayonigba Sacred Fish River known for a collection of sacred catfish, that is not consumable and highly forbidden.